If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable.
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Navigating the challenges inherent in starting or running a business can be daunting. HMS Law Group provides business owners and entrepreneurs the legal tools to start or maintain a growing venture.
Getting your business off to a good start requires strategic planning in a variety of areas, from selecting a location to choosing the right business entity. HMS can meet with you to discuss your goals and ensure that you are evaluating and addressing the relevant issues facing your company to help your business succeed. We can assist with:
- Identifying and choosing the appropriate entity
- Forming your business entity
- Discussing tax issues
- Drafting and/or reviewing lease/purchase contracts
- Providing general business advice
- Developing standardized business legal forms
Corporations, and other California entities, are required by law to observe and maintain certain legal formalities to preserve the limited liability protection. Enrolling in HMS's corporate maintenance program provides business owners with peace of mind that these formalities are kept current. Specifically, HMS will:
- Serve as designated agent for service of process in the State of California
- Coordinate and attend annual meetings for shareholders and Board of Directors
- Prepare annual corporate meeting minutes to document these meetings and other transactions
- Prepare and update Statements of Information filed annually with the California Secretary of State
In this economy, many business owners are looking to restructure their debt, change their ownership structure, relocate to other cities/states, or make other changes to survive and grow in the future. HMS attorneys are skilled at analyzing your company's financial picture to assist you in making decisions to help your business work more efficiently, be more profitable, and remain viable in the future.
Your business may have run smoothly for a number of years, but perhaps needs to renegotiate a lease or loan, purchase a building, or revise partner/employee contracts. HMS attorneys can review existing contracts, draft new documents, and advise you during contract negotiations. We will act in your best interests, while maintaining a high level of respect and integrity in dealing with adverse parties, to ensure that your business relationships remain strong.